- Enjoy meeting a variety of trained owls.
- During your time with the instructor you will learn how to fly and handle different owls.
- Please allow around 2 hours for your experience.
What happens on the day?
This is the ultimate experience for owl lovers! This session is a two-hour immersion into the lives of these nocturnal beauties. You will have the opportunity to handle and fly the owls under the expert guidance of a professional falconer, learn their habitat, how they hunt and their preferred prey. Come and learn how the plumage of an owl is very important in order for it to hunt, and why many of its bones are hollow!
Feel what it's like to be the prey of a European Eagle Owl as it swoops silently over your head. Awe at the down draught that must be created by its flight feathers in order for it to swoop and grasp its prey in its large and deadly talons.
Most of the owl species that you will fly have been raised and trained at the centre, and as a result they are extremely trusting of humans. The Owl Encounter is an experience you will never forget.
What else do I need to know?
- Voucher valid for 10 months.
- Available Wed - Sun throughout the year.
- Min age - 7 years.
- Under 16s will need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Any equipment needed will be provided.
- There will be a £10 charge for spectators.
- Please bring a pair of boots with you and wear suitable outdoor clothing.
Where can I do it?
Midlands: Derbyshire (Risley)
- An Unforgettable DayReview by Keith Gage, Huddersfield
Write Your Own Review
- Will we be able to fly the owls?
- Yes, this session involves flying and handling owls from various parts of the world.
- Would it be possible for an additional person to come along to watch this experience, take photographs etc without participating? And is there an extra cost for this?
- Spectators are welcome to come along, there will be an extra charge, payable when booking your date with the centre.
- Is experience suitable for a 7 yr old and adults go with them?
- There will not be a problem for the 7 year old to take part as long as they are accompanied by a full paying adult.